CMS Burden Reduction and Program Efficiency Changes
CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) recently published Regulatory Provisions to Promote Program Efficiency, Transparency, and Burden Reduction ( 84 FR 51732). This final rule that reforms Medicare regulations identified as unnecessary, obsolete or excessively burdensome on health care providers and suppliers. Thus, increasing the ability of health care professionals to devote resources to improving patient care by eliminating or reducing requirements that impede quality patient care or that divert resources away from furnishing high quality patient care. These changes become effective November 29, 2019.
The following list of standard revisions summarizes the revised regulatory requirements that impact Rural Health Clinics:
- The standard now requires a review of patient care policies every 2 years instead of every year by an advisory group that includes, at a minimum, a physician, and physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner, and one person who is not a member of the clinic staff.
- The revised standard requires Rural Health Clinics (RHCs) to conduct a program evaluation every 2 years instead of every year.
- The emergency preparedness (EP) plan must be reviewed and updated at least every 2 years instead of every year.
- The new standard eliminates the need to document the clinic’s efforts to contact EP officials. However, facilities will still be required to include a process for cooperation and collaboration with local, tribal, regional, State and Federal emergency preparedness officials as part of their EP plan.
- The EP testing program is to be reviewed and updated at least every 2 years, instead of every year. The revised standards require RHCs to test their EP plan by conducting only 1 emergency preparedness exercise annually, instead of 2 exercises every year. Exercises may be either a community-based full-scale exercise (if available), a facility-based functional exercise, a mock drill, or a tabletop exercise or workshop that includes a group discussion led by a facilitator. Every other year a full-scale exercise that is community-based or when not available, an individual, facility functional exercise must be completed.
- The revised standards require EP training to be conducted at a minimum, at least every 2 years. However, if the EP policies and procedures are significantly updated at any time, the RHC must conduct training on the updated policies and procedures.
If you have questions about any of these changes, contact The Compliance Team at 215-654-9110.
The Compliance Team receives award from NOSORH
On October 17, 2019, The Compliance Team received an award from Teryl Eisinger (left), the CEO of NOSORH (National Organization of State Office of Rural Health). Kate Hill, VP of Clinical Services, accepts the award for The Compliance Team’s longstanding support of NOSORH.
Proof positive that The Compliance Team employees wear many hats!
Upcoming Clinic Events
11/20 – 11/22
MSRHA, Mississippi Rural Health Association, 2019 Annual Conference
Hilton Jackson, Jackson, MS
Speaking: Kate Hill, R.N., Vice President Clinical Services
12/9 – 12/11
IHI, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2019 National Forum
Orlando World Center, Orlando, FL
Attending: Kate Hill, R.N., Vice President Clinical Services; Sandra Canally, Founder & CEO
“As this was my first ever survey, Jack made the whole experience comfortable. He was so patient and willing to share his knowledge in a way that I could understand. He answered all of my questions. He went above and beyond as has everyone at The Compliance Team to make sure we had everything we needed to be successful.”
– Anna Bennett, Clinic Manager, BH Heber Springs RHC Network, Heber Springs, AZ
Exemplary Provider logos
We have Exemplary Provider digital logos that you can add to your website or to your marketing materials. You can choose between generic or custom badges that include the name of your accreditation, e.g. Rural Health Clinic and/or Patient-Centered Medical Home. Contact Marilyn, our communications advisor, for details, email@example.com.
P.O. Box 160
905 Sheble Lane, Suite 102
Spring House, PA 19477
Office: (215) 654-9110
Fax: (215) 654-9068
© 2020 The Compliance Team, Inc.
FIND AN EXEMPLARY PROVIDER
Search by state
Exemplary Provider®; Safety-Honesty-Caring®; Exemplary Provider Award™; Patient Quality Measurement™; Patient-Centered Pharmacy Home™; Patient-Centered Respiratory Home™; League of Exemplary Providers™; Accreditation Redefined™; Accreditation Simplified™ and Great Seal of Asclepius™ are protected trademarks of The Compliance Team, Inc., P. O. Box 160, Spring House, PA 19477